Carrot pickle...Indian style

When I was younger my mother used to make grilled sandwiches with spicy carrot pickle.
I only made it rarely because of the effort of having to cut the carrots into fingerlike strips, but thanks to this grater my mother bought me which although is not the original german brand grater, works a wonder to thickly slicing carrots in a fraction of the time it would by hand (why did I ever do that?)

We eat it with many if not all our foods in addition to a salad or sometimes if the even arises that I do not actually make a fresh salad - instead of salad.  It's a great way to get carrots into the children without fuss because they love it. You can turn down or up the heat according to your own taste.

2lb of thickly grated carrots soaked in salt over night ( I dont always soak them and it still comes out fine) but my mother thinks they should be salted to avoid digestion problems...we have not had any problems.

2 - 3 tablespoons tomato puree
1 tsp salt
1 or more tsp chili powder
3 tblsp lemon juice
3 tblsp. olive oil or other oil
a bunch of segments of crushed garlic (I just peel a whole bunch because we love garlic for health and taste) but 2-3 is sufficient to get a healthy taste of garlic.
and my mother also now adds grated ginger which I personally have not tried yet.
2,3 or 4 green chillis (as hot as you can take it) or if you don't want the heat add some sweet green chillis instead

Method.
Peel and thickly grate the carrots into 2 inch length strips and salt with about 2 tsp salt then leave for a while so the carrots become soft.  Drain any liquid and rinse.

Mix all the spices, garlic, lemon, oil and puree together and mix the paste with the carrots.  Voila, its ready to eat with food or as I mentioned you can roll it in flat bread or make toasted sandwiches with it.  Either way it's very versatile.



Comments