Our Favorite Chocolate Cake...for now...so SIMPLE

Hi everyone,

I've been in a very busy time with the children off on Summer holidays at home, work (teaching and  writing) and keeping these stomachs full and satisfied.   With the Holy month of Ramadhan on our horizons and my need to remain practical and creative I've been making my fair share of deserts.

A week ago we were invited to a friends house for a swimming lunch where the children were quite content to swim for 4-5 hours straight even while I left them in the pool and went to my class and returned to 3 very satisfied children as we sat down to have a piece of beautiful, dark (my family's favorite chocolate color) and not to mention very chocolatty (is that even a real word - it should be) which was one of my contributions to this feast (before Ramadhan).

We all love this cake but my friend's family (3 more children not counting the little baby) from Melborne also seemed to love it equally.  They called it the mud pie because they said it was so moist that they thought I had put chocolate into it before baking - which ofcourse I did not.

I've had my fair share of chocolate cakes growing up and travelling the world especially since I grew up with what I still consider the best baker I've ever tasted - my grandmother and my mother comes a close second with their wholesome sourdough breads, german cheese cakes, swetchen kuchen (prune cake), zitroenen kuchen (lemon cake), home made jam and fruit syrups (from home grown fruits)  I am quite spoiled when it comes to good cakes. So choosing recipes that are satisfying I raise the bar quite high.

When I went looking for a new chocolate cake and tried a few that I found online (not very good at keeping a record of my recipes) I found this wonderful cake on Ina Garten's web site.  I thought I might add it here so that you could all share in the feeling of decadence which is the satisfying feeling of eating a wonderfully moist chocolate cake that is still warm and best of all home baked.

This cake uses butter milk which I make by adding 2-3 tblsps of lemon juice to milk and leaving it for a bout ten minutes before adding it to the cake mixture.  It also uses 1/2 cup of oil and 1 cup of coffee so the taste has a very slight bitter taste without knowing that coffee is one of the ingredients.  I use fresh ground coffee not the instant alternative to real coffee taste so the cake is very natural.  Also a teaspoon of vanilla goes in this cake.  I also never find the need to add icing to any chocolate cake - why add more sugar, instead we add fresh cream on the cake itself when eating - De LICIOUS!

So here's the link and I hope you all enjoy it as we do whenever I want to make a QUICK and easy cake that is perfect for any occasion.  My students and their co workers also loved this cake as I made it for them one day too.

It's called Beatty's chocolate cake.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/beattys-chocolate-cake-recipe/index.html

I also should mention that it's rated *****!!



Comments